So, I recently accepted a new job offer. The job is full of promise and I’m anxious to get to work. For the last few days I’ve been looking through my closet trying to create a new professional image for myself. But I’m feeling a little confused as about what’s appropriate and acceptable for such a position.
After spending the last several years in jeans, I’m ready for a new look that truly speaks to my personality, sense of style, and level of respect I expect in this supervisory position. The office however, is full of fashion contradictions. On my first interview my future manger had on jeans and a polo styled shirt, another employee had on wrinkled khakis and a short sleeve button up, and a female co-worker had on leggings with stilletos and a loose fitting silk shirt. I have yet to receive the employee manual but the dress code seems to be, come as you are attire.
So, I’ve come up with some fool proof clothing items for any work situation. Here are some of the things I plan to implement into my work attire rotation:
- Cardigans –Various colors & patterns
- Dark Wide Leg Jean– Can be dressed up or worn casual
- Button up shirts- Various colors, patterns, & textures
- Wedges- They’re comfortable, stylish and versatile
- Blazers- Versatile. Can be worn with a t-shirt or a button up top.
- Black Slacks
- Sweaters– Not only great for keeping warm in the cool months but a simple fashion choice for any occasion.
- V neck solid color T-shirts
- Knee length (or maybe a little bit above) patterned dresses. Floral, stripes, polka dots they’re all great paired with a blazer or cardigan and cute pair of shoes
- Accessories– Scarves, earrings, bracelets any variation can be used to dress up or dress down any outfit.